Needle Binding, Nalbinding, Naalbinding, Nålebindning
Socks, hats & mittens made from natural wool using ancient nalbinding techniques with explanatory booklets
Called Nålbindning in the native Swedish it is also known in English as nalbinding, nalebinding, nalbindning, naalbinding, nailbinding, naalebinding or needle binding. Nalbinding is an ancient technique used to produce hats, socks, mittens and other woolen goods using a single short needle and lengths of woolen yarn. Although later superceded by knitting, a technique that uses 2 needles instead of one, nålbindning produces garments of a superior quality with stitches that do not run if snagged and a weave that is more dense and therefore easier to felt, providing maximum protection from cold or moisture. It is for this reason that the nalbinding technique was still used until very recently in some parts of Scandinavia.
SGD661 - Nalbinding Book
The easiest, clearest ever guide to nalbinding.
- A4 size 23 page instruction book with full colour pictures throughout.
- Step by step instructions in both English and Swedish.
- Designed for the absolute beginner to learn this ancient technique.
- 4th edition with clearer patterns.
£15.00 (US$ | €)
SBBK8 - Viking Nalbinding From Finds Booklet
A 22 page step by step instruction booklet for the ancient art of nalbinding.
- Details nalbinding techniques and equipment required.
- A5 size step by step instructions & examples in English.
- Showing examples from England, Norway, Iceland & Finland.
- Difficulty level from beginner to expert.
- Part of a set of 10 Viking age clothing booklets by Susanna Broome.
- See all 10 booklets on our "Craft Books" page.
£8.00 (US$ | €)
SGD642 - Nalbinding Needle - Horn
Handmade horn nalbinding needle.
- Very strong and durable for all nalbinding techniques.
- Made from cow bone.
- Length approx 11cm (4.3").
£5.00 (US$ | €)
GAGW1 - Nalbinding Wool - Grey
Natural dark grey wool for nalbinding / tablet weaving.
- Comes in 175g (6.2oz) bunches.
- Natural sheep wool from Northern Europe.
£9.00 (US$ | €)
The following products are all handmade using ancient nalbinding techniques.
PEHA1 - Nalbinding Hats - Wool
Wool Viking hats, hand-woven with ancient nalbinding techniques in various colours.
- Replica Viking hats in 100% natural or plant-dyed wool.
- Standard sizes that will most adults.
- In stock now!
£45.00 (US$ | €)
GAGL2 - Nalbinding Mittens - Wool
Wool Viking mittens, hand-woven with ancient nalbinding techniques in dark grey.
- Made from natural dark grey wool.
- Keep your hands warm on cold winter days / nights.
- Last pair, on sale - now only £30!
Last pair, only £30.00 (US$ | €)